Blizzard has issued an apology to gamers after Overwatch 2 did not hit the bottom working.
The free-to-play group shooter debuted earlier this week, however was focused with a distributed denial-of-service (DDOS) assault inside hours of launch, inflicting notable connection points and stopping some gamers from accessing the title.
Another function designed to guard gamers has additionally prompted points, with many on social media platforms stating that SMS Protect – which initially required all gamers throughout all platforms to connect a telephone quantity to their battle.web account to launch Overwatch 2 – was really stopping these with pre-paid telephones from accessing the stay service title.
In response to the difficulty of SMS Protect, Blizzard says it has tweaked the system to take away telephone quantity necessities for a majority of present Overwatch gamers in a bid to offer its core group a free cross.
“Any Overwatch participant with a related Battle.web account, which incorporates all gamers who’ve performed since June 9, 2021, won’t have to supply a telephone quantity to play. We are working to make this variation and count on it to go stay on Friday, October 7. We will replace gamers as soon as it’s in impact,” mentioned the studio in a discussion board put up.
“We stay dedicated to combating disruptive conduct in Overwatch 2 — accounts that weren’t related to Battle.web in addition to new accounts will nonetheless have to fulfill SMS Protect necessities, which helps to make sure we’re defending our group in opposition to dishonest. If a participant is caught partaking in disruptive conduct, their account could also be banned whether or not they have a brand new account or not.”
There have been different points too, akin to issues with Account Merge that is at present stopping gamers from pulling over their in-game stock from the unique Overwatch to the sequel, incorrectly locked heroes and gadgets for present gamers, and queue points, server crashes, and stability hiccups.
All-in-all, Blizzard says its engaged on fixes for all the above, however has warned gamers anticipating a fast treatment that there would possibly nonetheless be just a few pace bumps within the short-term.
“We have addressed some points and are within the means of addressing others, however gamers ought to nonetheless count on to see queues,” mentioned the corporate, explaining the way it’s making an attempt to ship a extra secure expertise.
“Login queues, server crashes, and stability issues are intertwined, so we’ll speak about them collectively. Players might have been seeing their queue numbers leaping round, going from a small quantity to a bigger quantity. This is because of there being two queues for gamers—one by means of Battle.web, then one by means of the sport itself. This course of is normally invisible to gamers, however was being seen in actual time. We have made adjustments to simplify the queuing course of, so gamers ought to now solely be experiencing the one queue earlier than getting into the sport.
“We are additionally at present throttling queues to be able to defend the participant database as a lot as we are able to whereas we scale—this feels dangerous within the short-term, however as soon as it’s accomplished, will significantly enhance the expertise for gamers throughout a number of fronts shifting ahead.”
Ultimately, Blizzard conceded that the Overwatch 2 launch has been lower than superb, and mentioned it can try to “maintain ourselves to the next normal” work exhausting to resolve the problems affecting gamers.