Jerry Edelstein’s Los Angeles Times crossword — Jenni’s write-up
Quickly whereas the resort web permits me to attach….
We have 5 theme solutions and a revealer. That’s quite a lot of theme materials. The fill doesn’t appear to undergo, although.
- 16a [*Sibling by marriage] is a STEPBROTHER.
- 23a [*Best Picture Oscar winner directed by Barry Jenkins] is MOONLIGHT.
- 29a [*Wee] is PINTSIZE.
- 43a [*Lengthy warranty period] is LIFETIME.
- 50a [*Retrace one’s steps] is BACKTRACK.
And the revealer at 61a: [Coffee creamer option, or what can precede both parts of the answers to the starred clues] is HALF AND HALF. HALF STEP, HALF BROTHER, HALF MOON, HALF LIGHT (that one doesn’t work properly for me), HALF PINT, HALF SIZE, HALFBACK, and HALFTRACK. The solely HALFTRACK that involves thoughts is the overall within the Beetle Bailey comedian strips. So the theme principally works, and the fill is strong. Not my favourite Tuesday, however not too dangerous.
A couple of different issues:
- When I stated the fill was strong I’d forgotten about 19a [Can opener], POP TAB. Should be both POP TOP or PULL TAB, shouldn’t it?
- Few issues really feel nearly as good as UNHOOKing a bra on the finish of the day.
- I do just like the lengthy downs, ELEPHANTS and FAIR SHAKE.
- I’m presently in Paris the place the sidewalk CAFES are the stuff of legend, and deservedly so.
- Eddie ARCARO and Elia KAZAN are most likely not acquainted to youthful solvers – and by “younger” I imply anybody youthful than me (b 1960).
What I didn’t know earlier than I did this puzzle: that Barry Jenkins directed MOONLIGHT.
Matt Jones’s Jonesin’ Crossword, “Freefall” – Erin’s write-up
Hello lovelies! We have a themeless to overview this week, with so many 15s! The middle triple stack is gorgeous, consisting of BERENSTAIN BEARS, YOU CAN’T TUNA FISH, AND IMPERIAL MAJESTY. Towards the highest of the grid lie IMAGINARY FRIEND and LOCH NESS MONSTER (who might very properly be somebody’s imaginary pal), and the underside offers us FAVORABLE REVIEW and THE NEWLYWED GAME.
Three of the 4 corners have a culinary slant: TOFU DOG, PARSLEY, and SESAMES. How typically is the plural for sesame used? I like the clue although: [Everything usually includes them], as in an every thing bagel. Now I desire a bagel.
Things I discovered at this time: Liza KOSHY hosts the brand new actuality present “Dancing With Myself” and the brand new “Double Dare.” The Disney present “Agent OSO” stars Sean Astin.
Blasts from the previous: Carson Daly and TRL (Total Request Live), and Dance Dance Revolution or DDR [Mus. arcade game with lots of descending arrows].
Things I didn’t love: the partials BY ITS and ONE AT, and REOMIT, which I’m unsure is an precise phrase.
Things I like: the clue for DONNA [Summer in the club].
What have been your favourite bits of this themeless? Let us know within the feedback.
Kyle Dolan’s Wall Street Journal crossword, “Win/Loss Columns”—Jim P’s overview
Theme: Vertical theme entries are acquainted two-word phrases with the initials W.L. (or W/L should you favor), therefore the title.
- 3d. [Feature of many a cartoon pirate] WOODEN LEG.
- 7d. [Humanities survey course, perhaps] WORLD LITERATURE.
- 9d. [Limbo for college hopefuls] WAITING LIST.
- 24d. [Frequent subject for Claude Monet] WATER LILIES.
- 35d. [One happy to take a cab?] WINE LOVER.
Simple theme, however with a wonderfully apt title which elevates it properly, in my view. Fun, vigorous theme entries make for an pleasurable resolve from begin to end.
Those two lengthy non-theme entries are enjoyable, too: “…OR SO I HEAR” and “SPIT IT OUT!” Also good: GET WORD, FAKE ID, and LIBIDO. I wouldn’t thoughts by no means seeing ASPIC [Gelatin made with meat stock] once more since (a) it sounds horrible and (2) I solely comprehend it from crosswords.
Clue of word: 9a. [Narrow-waisted insects]. WASPS. Ooh, I’ve a large wasp nest in one in all our timber overhanging the road. The nest might be twice the scale of my head, and the wasps in query turned out to be bald-faced hornets that are by all accounts nasty little devils. It’s stated they go for the eyes and may even bear in mind previous assailants and assault them particularly. Since it’s so near the road and has been broken a number of instances by passing rubbish vans, I sprayed the nest thrice for good measure. There are nonetheless some in there, however their exercise is way diminished they usually’re winding down for the season anyway.
That’s all I’ve. Nice, clear puzzle. Four stars.